wherein DF travels to Deutschland for the 2006 world cup to follow the US men's national soccer team

Friday, June 09, 2006

Peter Crouch, I stand corrected


I've done my share of travel in Europe, even living there for a summer, and in that time I developed a number of opinions that I heretoforethought were ironclad in their validity. Among them: Europeans can't dance. I'm not, of course, referring to high-end pop stars or professional eurodancers, who I'm sure can bust a move with the best of them. I'm talking about going to clubs and seeing the average Joe and Josephina doing their thing (in Spain, Holland, and England), which made me feel like a straight up dance superstar by comparison.

Then along came a man by the name of Peter Crouch and proved me wrong. This tall (6'6") drink of water has developed what is likely the most famous goal celebration in the world at the moment: the robot. The sight of England's gangly beanpole (who does, it must be admitted, have a good touch for a big man) working it on the sidelines after scoring yet another unlikely goal has captivated millions, and has made me realize that perhaps my opinion about Eurodancing was wrong. The sheer audacity of the Crouch robot beggars the imagination, and now it's come out that he honed his moves from youth and showed them off at David Beckham's pre-World Cup dance party. Check it out, y'all.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

Yes, everybody underestimated Crouch. He obviously has some Brazilian blood. I still think he will be the leading scorer, and dancer, in the world cup, and nobody has ever achieved that distinction before. But he can't rely too heavily on the robot. The Macarena? He's got to vary it up. Maybe the Hustle? Oh, if he could only break dance!

Oh, by the way, looked to me like Reyna got off our best shot yesterday. I told yall he had some offense in him.

8:22 AM, June 13, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
/body>