wherein DF travels to Deutschland for the 2006 world cup to follow the US men's national soccer team

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Status report

Whew. Catching up on the events of the past few days proved more grueling that I'd imagined. But now I'm up to speed and can catch my breath. So what's on for DF? As you're doubtless aware, I'm in Berlin now, where I've lucked into a free place to stay in a fancified hotel near the Kurfurstendamm area.

Plans for later include taking in the Germany-Poland match in the fanfest area that spans the way between the Victory Column and the Brandenburg Gate in the company of a German friend. It's going to be hard for me to root for either team, since I simply have no loyalty toward either, but I'll be pulling for the Teutons because I'm such a go along to get along kind of guy.

The WC scene is a great one. Last night I wandered around the area a bit with Web Guy and ran into many Croats lamenting their loss and Tunisians getting excited about their upcoming game against Saudi Arabia (truly a clash of minnows--the vagaries of the draw still frustrate me). I met a Ghanaian and was surprised to hear Tupac's California Love play at an outdoor disco. It all closed down at 2am, which seemed really early, even for a weeknight. Now off for a brat or three and the beginning of the Saudi-Tunisia game.

2 Comments:

Blogger cliff said...

If you'd like to post live score to your blog, this website would help: EditGrid World Cup Special. Hope you would find it useful =D

6:55 AM, June 15, 2006

 
Blogger Lee said...

I'm insanely jealous.

8:46 AM, June 15, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
/body>