wherein DF travels to Deutschland for the 2006 world cup to follow the US men's national soccer team

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Get yourself connected

First, where have I been? This, broad readership, is an excellent question. For much of the past couple of weeks I’ve been in St. Croix. I highly recommend this destination unless you have some moral or aesthetic objection to sun, rum, and endless sandy beaches.

But now I’m back and it’s time to celebrate my return with a World Cup related note. In a move of retrospectively astonishing foolishness, I failed to pre-order tickets to the US-Ghana game, despite having the incredible luck to have a friend with an inside track to tickets that allows me to bypass the whole USSF/FIFA ticket fiasco.

As a result, I have for the past few months been trolling around various sites to get a ticket to the game. For a moment, it appeared that my good friend and occasional co-blogger mirarchi would have an extra, but no such luck. At one point I was in touch with a very shady Englishman who had two tix but lost me when he asked “Am I looking at 350 pounds sterling for the pair?” It was the smarmy tone as much as the extortionate price that made me decline the offer.

Then, a couple days ago, my secret connection put me in touch with a colleage who apparently has tons of extra tix and was able to hook me up with just what I needed: a Cat I ticket to US-Ghana, at face value. He might also be able to get me into Mexico-Portugal. The lesson: despite the countervailing wisdom propounded by country and western singers, it's good to have friends in high places.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any chance of helping an anonymous person on the internet locate more US Ghana tickets? They are hovering around $800 a piece in most places. I am going to Nuremberg with two friends even if we don't have tickets, but steering me in the right direction would be great. The three of us are big fans and alot of fun(late-20s, early 30s ages), so if you could help me out or you're interested a meetup in Germany contact me as well :)

Thanks a bunch.

SeamusX (a) gmail (dot) com

2:48 PM, April 19, 2006

 
Blogger DF said...

Any chance of helping an anonymous person on the internet locate more US Ghana tickets?

Sure thing. I passed your info along to my contact. I'm not sure if he has extra tix or what he's charging for them now but I hope it works out. If it does, you owe me a beer.

3:11 PM, April 19, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

df,

If this works out, I will buy you many beers! thanks alot!

8:56 AM, April 20, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
/body>