wherein DF travels to Deutschland for the 2006 world cup to follow the US men's national soccer team

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Some solipsistic notes

Let me clear up a misconception: I am not living in, nor writing from, Germany. I realize my blog's title may be confusing on this score. It refers to the original conception of this project, which was to memorialize my upcoming trip to see the USMNT compete in the World Cup, much as I memorialized my trip through Central Europe in blog form last summer. It's since become broader, including general commentary on the USMNT as well as MLS. But as of now, I live in the states and am not, as they say, a Yank Abroad.

That said, when June rolls around this will become less of a soccer news and analysis blog and more of a travelblog, to include reflections on my experience of being a US fan in Berlin during the world's greatest sports event. Also forthcoming: travel-related details that may be of use to other fans planning a trip to Germany. In particular, I need to straighten out my train travel plans: buy a Weltmeister pass on the DB, make reservations for Kaiserslautern and Nurnberg, etc. Note to self: do that soon.

Also, shout-outs to two fine soccer bloggers who have added me to their blogrolls. Climbing the Ladder is doing some very interesting stat-crunching these days, and is named after one of the many bizarre yet lovable cliches employed by the late, great ESPN soccer announcer Jack Edwards (where are you, bro?). Pseudo Corner Kick features snappy news and commentary on the MNT, and rightly made fun of me for the verbosity of my verbiage. When I get to creating a blogroll of my own, I'll be sure to include these two first.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wasn't making fun! Sometimes I find it remarkable that bloggers can expound so much on a particular topic when all I can muster is a caveman-like 'That seems good' grunt. I wish I could organize my thoughts into coherent posts as well as you do, maybe that is something that one develops over time.

9:52 AM, March 21, 2006

 
Blogger DF said...

Fair enough. I do tend to write a lot, though. It's kind of my job.

8:29 PM, March 21, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
/body>