wherein DF travels to Deutschland for the 2006 world cup to follow the US men's national soccer team

Sunday, May 07, 2006

FREE Ticket to U.S.-Czech Republic

I've been planning a World Cup trip this summer with my wife, son, and stepfather, and have two tickets to each of the U.S. first round games -- one for myself, and one for my stepfather. It turns out that my stepfather will not be arriving in Germany until after the U.S.-Czech Republic game, so I am left with an extra ticket to that game.

I grew up a die-hard New York Yankees fan, and when I was in college, I spent a couple summers in New York City. A seat in the right-field bleachers of Yankee Stadium at that time ran $6, and I'd often go up to the Bronx after work and catch a game from the bleachers. Once I was standing in line at the bleacher seats ticket window, and a guy walked by asking if anyone was by themselves. I tentatively raised my hand, and the guy walked over to me, handed me a ticket, and said "enjoy." It turns out it was a ticket to a box seat a few rows behind the first-base dugout (I can't remember what the face value of the ticket was, but it was at least ten, if not twenty times, as much as the $6 bleacher seat I was planning to buy).

Having been a beneficiary of a stranger's random act of kindness in bestowing on me a free ticket to a sporting event, I have decided to do the same, and am offering my extra ticket to the Czech Republic game to a deserving reader of this blog. In doing this, I have two concerns. First, I want the ticket to end up in the hands of a U.S. fan. Second, I don't want whoever I give the ticket to to turn around and scalp it.

So, broad readership, here's the deal: If you are planning a trip to Germany this summer, and would like my extra ticket, post a comment to this post. In your comment, leave your email address, and write up something that will assure me that you are a die-hard fan of the USMNT and that you are not planning to scalp the ticket. I will get back to the lucky winner of the ticket by tomorrow, as I purchased the tickets through the USSF, and the deadline for transferring a ticket from one person's name to another's is 5:00 p.m. on Monday. So if you'd like the ticket and post your email address here, please check your email by tomorrow (Monday) morning, as I will need your full name, date of birth, and passport number for the transfer form, which I need to fax to the USSF by 5:00 p.m tomorrow.

7 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I have a close friend who will be in Germany this June. He's a true US fan and would be a great companion for this game. I've just called and e-mailed him to confirm his dates in Deutschland. I'll post again later once I've gotten hold of him.

9:44 AM, May 08, 2006

 
Blogger mirarchi said...

Great! If your friend wants the ticket, give me your email address (or you're friend's email address) when you post again, so that I can get your friend's name, date of birth, and passport number. The deadline for faxing the ticket transfer form to the USSF is 5:00 p.m. today, so time is of the essence.

10:15 AM, May 08, 2006

 
Blogger Chris said...

Dang! He's not going to be arriving in Germany until the 17th. Sorry for the false alarm.

11:35 AM, May 08, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If still available, I would be interested. I have sent an email to dfindeutschland@yahoo.com.

1:17 PM, May 08, 2006

 
Anonymous Melvin Buendia said...

Mike -

If possible I'd like the US-Cz ticket. My name is
Melvin Buendia and I live in Texas, USA. I've been
following the USNT since the late 80's. I will be
Germany from June 9 to June 25. If you still have the
extra ticket and are still giving it away please let
me know.

My e-mail address is melvinbuendia@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Melvin

2:40 PM, May 08, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also interested, just emailed you.

3:29 PM, May 08, 2006

 
Blogger DF said...

Just a note to say that the ticket is no longer available. It went to the first person who responded, who also happens to be a serious USMNT supporter. Thanks to all who wrote in.

5:24 PM, May 08, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
/body>